Deborah J. Michelson, Esq.
Deborah Michelson focuses her practice on business and complex commercial litigation, representing publicly traded companies, small businesses, and individuals in matters involving intellectual property rights, business torts, securities fraud, employment discrimination and retaliation, breaches of contract, commercial real estate, business "break-ups" and wind-downs, breaches of fiduciary duty, insurance coverage, estate and probate disputes, corporate governance, executive compensation, and ERISA-related issues.
- Over 20 years of experience handling cases at the trial and appellate levels in state and federal courts throughout Ohio and nationwide.
- Prosecutes and defends business tort claims including enforcement of non-compete agreements and restrictive covenants, misappropriation of trade secrets, deceptive trade practices, fraud, unjust enrichment, and promissory estoppel.
- Prosecutes and defends breach of contract claims including purchase agreements, real estate contracts, commercial lease agreements, supply agreements, and distribution agreements.
- Prosecutes and defends federal and state unfair competition claims including trademark, trade dress, and copyright infringement.
- Prosecutes and defends breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Prosecutes and defends employment discrimination, sexual harassment, and retaliation claims.
- Served as an adjunct professor of trial tactics at Case Western Reserve University School of Law
* Representative Matters Available Upon Request
Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- J.D., Cum Laude 1987
- Activities and Societies: Law Review; Mock Trial; Moot Court; International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award for Distinguished Achievement in the Art and Science of Advocacy; William E. Davis Award for Best Appellate Brief; American Jurisprudence Award in Torts
Northwestern University, B.A. 1984
State of Ohio
State of New York
United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
Numerous Pro Hac Vice admissions
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Former Chair, Litigation Section
- Member, Commercial Courts Subcommittee
- Member, Litigation Section
- Member, Women-In-Law Section
- Member, William K. Thomas American Inns of Court
Ohio State Bar Association
- Former Member, Litigation Section Council
- Member, Litigation Section
Ohio Women's Bar Association
- Co-chair, Judicial Selection Committee of the Cuyahoga County
Judicial Candidates Rating Coalition
American Bar Association
- Member of various sections of the Litigation Section
Civic & Community Service
Faculty Member, National Institute for Trial Advocacy Great Lakes Deposition Program
Volunteer Lawyer, Legal Aid Society's Homeowner Foreclosure Mediation Program
Judicial Panelist, American Association for Justice's Student Trial Advocacy Competition
Judicial Panelist, Case Western Reserve University School of Law Dean Dunmore Moot Court Competition
Team Advisor, John Hay High School, Cleveland Municipal High School Mock Trial Competition